Monday, November 25, 2013

Dzień dobry

Gin doubley!
[Sidenote: this is a greeting in Polish, like 'Good Afternoon' or such! It's spelled horribly wrong mostly likely but it'll do eh?] 
I'm going to write you all pre my Missh. President letter so I make sure you get some of the good stuff 
This week was my first on a bike, whew. My comp. and I are on a bike-share with the other sisters in our ward, meaning we switch off with the car every other week. I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to the good people of Charlotte for not committing man-slaughter against me, even though I provided them with various opportunities to do to so. This isn't a very bike friendly city, nor is pedalling in a skirt a very Sarai-friendly route. Hahaha my first cycling excursion...let's just say I won't be wearing that concert-attire-esque black skirt any time soon...or ever (unless I could suddenly work wonders with a needle and thread?) But truly, Angels are bearing me up! I'm learning the tricks of the trade, and adore being out on the tree-lined curvy back-roads scattered with fallen leaves of all colors. Usually while doing so I sing a hymn to myself. (i.e."Carry on, Carry on, carry on!, or "though hard to you this journey may appear...!" hahahaha God speed the right, am I right?
Charlotte is a nice hub of people from everywhere. A lot of those we meet hail from New Jersey, Georgia, Virginia, NY, Alabama etc. but we've also met a good amount of first generation immigrants from Europe, India, Africa. I couldn't tell ya ALL the specifics, but I'm often talking geography with the children of God here. I'm learning more about myself. Mostly that it's not about myself. Once the world is more or less stripped away, I am finding more about what means the most to me. 
1. Truth, and the knowledge of it
2. Family, including my world-family. We are all brothers and sisters of Christ and children of our Heavenly Father. There are people I will meet here, (and maybe have met already) I'm sure I knew well before the world was! So basically all people, I love people.
Music, Travel, and my nature obsessive tendencies (these leaves though, have I mentioned them?!) are often in the back of my mind somewhere, and food. Oh dear, that food. I'm doing my best not to spend so much money on it. But anywayysss, I was telling Sister Pace the other night that one (of the) thing(s) I want get out of my mission is the attribute of selfless-ness. It's not about myself, ya know? I want to be like Christ.

I'm running out of time again, but want to be sure to tell you about some of the people here I love specifically, I won't hit all of them but they are all such dears:
Sister Lee- She is the Relief Society Pres. of the ward, and reminds me a lot of Sister Harvey. She is always super fun. Her daughter Mia is 8 and my bestie; her and Hava are bosom friends that just don't know it yet. She showed up to give Sister Pace and I a ride when we were in a bit of a pickle, without us even asking (I'm still not entirely sure how...) and saved us from having to bike about 40 mins or more in the dark (up hill both ways of course) when we had a dinner appt. I will forever be grateful! Heaven Father is indeed looking out for his missionaries! We are being taken care of so well my the members here.   
Jenneva (spelling?)- Our 20-something next-door (sort of) neighbor. She is from Sierra Lione, and is such a sweetheart. The kind of next-door (sort-of) neighbor everyone wants. She's invited us over for Thanksgiving! We said we'd make sure to stop by :)
[Sidenote: Guess what family from the ward we are going to for Thanksgiving dinner! Yep! The Lamberts :D stoked.]
Terry and April- Terry is 50-something year old black man from New York who moves furniture for a living. He loves his daughter April (age 8, perfect right?) very much and wants this for her. They are so great! The spirit was so strong the first time we taught them. They met with missionaries pretty regularly about 2-3 years ago, but lost contact when they moved apartments. God led us to them; I do believe that. They were my second Restoration lesson out in the field, and the first with a follow-up appt. (ha ha ha) We have so far had taught them the Plan of Salvation, (April participated so well), and we will continue to meet with them every Tues and Thurs, pray for them! Their baptism date is roughly Dec. 21st.
Megan- We met Megan sitting smoking on her porch as we were riding by on our bikes. She is soft and kind. Her last name is Robey and she was wearing a robe! I pointed that out, and laughed way too hard at my own joke. I'm stoked to meet with her again and hear about her Book of Mormon reading. She was was first baptismal invite, she said she "sure would." !!!! Um...ohmygosh the Church is true.
Carlos- We met him last weekend I believe, but shared the message of the Restoration with him yesterday afternoon. Carlos moved here from Mexico with his family about 14 or so years ago, we ran into his mom and sister another day as they were walking their dog, and it was in no way coincidence. 
Wesley-Older Polish man who we met while he was washing his silver mini cooper, (which of course reminded me of my Galarza loves) of whom I learned my vocab. We don't even have a return appt. with him, but I love him so much. Sister P. remarked afterwards that he reminded her very much of President Uchtdorf. Somehow, I feel he identifies with me more than most, I thanked my heavenly Father that he put Wesley, even if for a few minutes, in my path.
Roman-From Moldova, lives across the street the the Eldery Moulton couple in our ward. Was stoked that I knew where that was. He is so nice and runs a handmade soap business with his wife (who I think is Cambodian?) after talking to him for a bit, about life and Joseph Smith and "a pillar of light" etc. as we bid farewell, he gave Sister P and I each a bar of soap. Like this is gourmet, special all-natural stuff. It was such an honor. I don't think I'll ever use that bar beyond decoration, I treasure it.
With Sister Bigham I learned to turn outward, as together we learned about the character of Christ and tried to apply it more and more to our own characters. Sister Pace is teaching me diligence. She is very by the book, and just what I need. (Think Emma from the Australian teen mermaid soap. but an amazing missionary, and with a smile so bright it toasts bread (?)) From Sister Jen Kramer (a new convert in the ward) I'm learning, by her example, of tender gratitude.

On Friday Elder Cook (Yeah, of the Quentin L. variety!) and Sister Cook spoke at our mission conference. It. was. incredible. President Craven had asked us to be prayerfully considering questions we could ask him as an Apostle (one of the only twelve living on earth) and I thought about about that and came up with a small pool of questions I could choose from as I felt prompted. There didn't end up being a Q and A at the end like we had thought, but let me tell you, every single one of the questions I had thought of, (one regarding the application of the power of the Atonement, another about the defintion of "elect," I had wondered about the process of how they assign missions...) Every one of them was answered nontheless. I took like 6 pages of notes. I cried. There were times in the conference I believe President Craven and Sister Craven were crying as well. It was just so good, believe me. The power of the Spirit is just unfathomable. The love of Heavenly Father has for us is just unfathomable.
Something that we do as missionaries to encourage specific action from those we teach, and to know for themselves, is in the form of "Will you...?" statements. Elder Cook said on Fri that it is in inviting others to make commitments that we can, as missionaries, best prepare them to...well, eventually live with there Father in Heaven again. 
So family, and my brothers and sisters worldwide...whoever is reading this; 
-"Will you pray to God and ask specifically if he is there, and if he loves you?" If you do it sincerely and with real intent I know you will know for yourself that he is, and that he does.
-"Will you family, answer the phone when missionaries call, and/or call them back asap?" 'Cause please, I've left so many one-sided voicemails that I just forget how many and who even I've called.
-"Will you family, pray for those I have written of, that they'll strengthen their desires to come closer to Christ?"
-"Will you, try a little harder to be a little more like Christ in all you do, and turn outward?" I will too. And I do hope I always can.
I love you so! Please write me more about how goes with all of you! Tell Gram how very grateful and touched I am for all the letters she's sent me, what an inspiration that woman is! She has become like Christ, as I hope to do. And the Highland 39th YW as well! That package was too kind. And Bee, Galey, and Mrs. Cua, and Jamie, for your emails ugh. they just lit me up :) And thanks to Mike and Donna, Steve and Avelina and Amber (and boys) for the Dear Elders and continued support, and to everyone who prays for me,  this email is for you, through your prayers you are assisting is building up Christ's kingdom on earth! Love, love, and more love! xx,

Sister Lambert

No comments:

Post a Comment