Thursday, February 7, 2013

Life, Death, Missions, and Legacies

On February 6th, 1932 my Father's sweet dad was born. One month before my dear grandpa's 81st birthday he passed away unexpectedly. It was hard for us. It would have been devastating, but I know I will see him again and families are forever. He made sure I knew this truth, and the important things of life. What a great man; a cowboy, a disciple of Christ and a true Californian at heart. Born in Kamas, Utah a tiny freezing town in Western Utah, bordering the Wasatch Forest, he absolutely adored Southern California when he was called there on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He fell in love with the weather (as many do) and knew that was where he wanted to raise his future family. Glen Lambert has been know to say, "Have you been reading the Book of Mormon?...Are you warm enough?"

Grandpa Lambert was my good friend, I can count on my fingers the few people I talk on the phone, and he was one of them. He always recorded every BYU football game for us to watch when we came. I'm not much of a televised football person, but I would watch BYU's games for my grandpa. He was an outdoors-man, a keeper of dogs, an archer, a rattle snake shooter. He knew more about guns than anyone I know, and admired men such as John Wayne and Robin Hood. He also was a diy-er, built a grandfather clock on his own, sewed coats, quilts, sleeping bags for him and his family. He was an amazing example, I want so badly to make him proud, to be good and to do good. To rear a family in love and righteousness, and make them a priority.  To cherish and build and eternal marriage and have it last through any trial and hardship and just grow stronger and into forever.

He was an accountant, a seemingly simple occupation but he was passionate about it and worked with his whole heart. He assisted his wife in the two bookstores they owned and ran together up until 2001 or so. When I was six my darling grandma had a severe stroke inhibiting her ability to walk and communicate as she once could, my grandpa cared for his once can-do wife almost completely on his own for more than 12 years up until the day of his death. I have never been more proud of the Lambert name and am so honored to represent it when I soon go on a mission of own.
Grandpa Lambert's Obituary

All that being said, yesterday, one of my best friends, my close cousin received her mission call on my recently deceased grandpa's birthday, she is not only going back to my home state, but the EXACT same mission as my grandpa, the reason why California became birthplace, and my home. Though she it not directly related to him, out of 366 some potential possible mission areas worldwide, I find that pretty amazing. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Sarai and Shell in 2009

1 comment:

  1. Well, Good job Sarai. Your grandpa sounds like a cutie elder man. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete